Leaky pipes are bad news for both the environment and your hip pocket. A burst pipe or failed fitting on your farm can lead to loss of precious water, failed crops and dehydrated stock. Having some essentials on hand means you can repair the problem yourself without needing to wait for a plumber.
Poly pipe for small farms
Poly piping systems have become very popular for both small and larger farms. They are much easier to work with than old school galvanised pipes and long lasting as they are corrosion resistant. While rural poly pipes (measured in inches on the internal diameter) have been used on large farms for a while, metric poly pipes have become more popular in recent years as they tend to be cheaper, more versatile and simpler to install.
Compression fittings for fast repairs
All poly pipes between 16 and 60 millimetre can be joined using compression fittings. Compression fittings are quick to install, reliable, and can be installed by hand without specialised equipment, making them a solid choice for small landholders. Philmac’s new range of metric 3G metric fittings are compact in length, and a little easier to tighten thanks to more positive grips around the collar nut and have a self-aligning action as they are tightened.
Joining and repairing pipes with the new 3G fittings is a simple 5 step process.
- Cut the length of pipe square no other preparation to the pipe ends is needed.
- Unscrew both ends of the 3G fitting so three threads are showing on each side. There is no need to remove the collar nut from the fitting.
- Insert the pipe into the fitting until the stop is felt, being careful not to force the pipe past the O-ring.
- Tighten the nuts by hand. The action will draw the pipe end past the sealing ring.
- Once the pipe is in place, firmly tighten the collar nut with a spanner/wrench all the way to the flange
Range of uses
Philmac’s extensive new 3G range features new nut material that helps make the action of tightening easier and minimises nut damage when tightening with a wrench. They are also easy to disassemble without damage, so that your pipes can be reconfigured as needed.
New generation fittings have made it far easier for small farmers to manage their irrigation piping themselves, saving money and time.
If you have any questions about poly pipe systems, please give us a call on 9651 1312 or drop in to our Moora or Yerecoin store. We are an independent local family-owned Western Australia rural store, and we love sharing our knowledge and experience with our customers.